April 08, 2010
Before & After: Naomi
I’m still working through a number of photos that my internet photography friends sent my way. This afternoon, I thought I’d share Naomi. Her mother sent me some of her Easter portraits for my challenge. 

This first one really needed some help, but I was able to save it. 
My steps included: 
  1. Adjusted the curves.
  2. Adjusted the levels. 
  3. Adjusted the brightness.
  4. Adjusted the color curves (for her skin tone).
  5. Applied Pioneer Woman’s Bring Out the Eyes action. 
  6. Applied Coffeeshop’s Baby Powder Room to even out her skin tone. 
  7. Cropped in even closer (since she’d already chopped Naomi’s chin), and rotated slightly.
  8. Applied Amy McMaster’s Apricot Cream action.
This next one was so sweet, but needed a little love. 
I think my steps included (because I’m looking at my notes now with a huge question mark): 
  1. Adjusted the color curves (for her Grandma’s skin tone – I think).
  2. I must have applied Coffeeshop’s Powder Room (at a minimum, I did some red skin correction). 
  3. Applied Pioneer Woman’s Bring Out the Eyes action. 
  4. Cropped and angled just a little. 
  5. Applied Coffeeshop’s Little Perk action (and lowered the opacity).
These next three are studio set ups. To be honest, I’m not sure about the various shades of green background. Here’s one of three. Isn’t that bonnet a hoot!
My steps included: 
  1. Moved Naomi to the right (meaning that I also filled in the left hand side). 
  2. In order to blend the new space with the old, I filled in the color and then created a gaussian blur (refer to yesterday’s before & after). 
  3. Applied Coffeeshop’s Baby Powder Room action. 
  4. Applied DP Mom’s Perfect Workflow. 
  5. Applied Coffeeshop’s Little Perk action. 
  6. Applied Pioneer Woman’s Bring Out the Eyes action.
Two of three has the funniest face – you can tell she was getting tired of having her picture made.
I’m pretty sure I followed the same steps as above, but don’t hold me to it. 

Finally, three of three. I’ll be honest, this is the one that is really tripping me up for some reason and I think it may still be a little pink (in an effort to warm it up). The composition would have been perfect had she only been interested in the camera, but I still think it’s a fun shot. I used the same steps as the previous two (more or less). 
So that’s all for this set. Hope you enjoyed my little tutorial and stay tuned for my next round of Before & Afters which includes some family portraits!

2 COMMENTS

    Great job! You had some tough edits with this set- I think the last one looks a little pink, but take that with a grain of salt. I’m still trying to learn the ins and outs of editing!! And I have an uncal. monitor! Can’t wait to see how you edit the pictures I sent! :)

    oh wow…great job…AND…i love your new header..what a fun pic


COMMENT