How far along: 28 weeks (technically, 28 weeks and 3 days today).
How big is the baby: Our baby girl weighs approximately 2.4 pounds and is a little under 15 inches from head to heel. If we’re talking fruits and veggies, she’s about the size of an eggplant.
Total weight gain: Since my last bump report at 26 weeks, I’ve gained another 3 lbs for a total of 15 lbs since the start of my pregnancy.
Sleep: Other than when I’m away from home (as I was last weekend), I sleep pretty well…unless I start thinking about all the things I need to accomplish over the next few weeks. The other night, I woke up at 2 am and couldn’t go back to sleep until 4 am. After tossing and turning for 30 minutes, I went downstairs to read Mockingjay (the third book in the Hunger Games series). My husband didn’t even notice I was gone. I have a feeling it’s only going downhill from here…and that I’m getting some practice for when our little girl arrives. At that point, I may be asking “what’s sleep?”
Maternity Clothes: It’s mildly depressing to see all the cute new spring dresses out right now. A few weeks ago, I was still managing to look cute in them. Now, with the way so many of them are cut, it looks like I’m wearing a tent. I don’t really need to spend my money on maternity clothes anyways. Instead, I’ll start thinking about nursing bras and tops. Suggestions?
Best moments of the week (past two weeks):
- We finally put the crib up…just after I complained about our lack of progress. It is beautiful. There is still plenty more to do (retrieve bedding from seamstress, hang curtain valance, pick up chair and ottoman, move changing table upstairs, hang artwork, etc), but we’ll get there over the next couple of weeks.
- Our first baby shower! I posted a few pictures yesterday, but it really was wonderful and I’m looking forward to having a couple more. Actually, there’s part of me that wishes I could already have my showers…but only because it’d give me a better idea of what I need to purchase, and I’d spend less time thinking about stuff at night. Patience is not one of my best qualities.
- I met up with Sarah Halstead on Tuesday night for some early maternity photos since she was in town this past week. She was originally going to take them in late July, but we were worried that she might miss it (if I went into labor a couple of weeks early) or that I’d be hot, sweaty and swollen (okay, that was just my concern). Actually, she took my bump photo this week (one day early – taken at the end of our day…thus the lack of a smiling face) and she posted several of her favorites to her Facebook page: click HERE. I’ll probably share some of these same photos here next Saturday (maybe a few extras…we’ll see). I should also mention that I’m meeting up with Casey Martinez in a few weeks for another round of maternity photos. It’s so nice to have photography friends nearby who want to take pictures of me.
- Finally, I’m getting to spend some time with my mom this weekend. The closer I get to my due date, the more I find that I want to talk to my mom…whether I’m asking her a question about decorations or what I should expect at a certain month – she’s my best resource!
Food cravings: I still haven’t had any major cravings – I essentially eat what I have always eaten. However, earlier this week, I did want a Jimmy Johns sub. I try to avoid cold deli meat, but I don’t think one sandwich will hurt.
Food aversions: Nothing new.
- Still some circulation issues. Drinking water is helping though.
- Still heartburn. But not as frequent (although still quite painful). I haven’t had to take Zantac as often as I was prepared to take it – which is a good thing.
- Belly button really wants to be an outtie. I think Elena called it the Napoleon complex. Either way, I feel like it’s going to pop in the next week or two. I wonder if it’ll make a ding noise when it’s done…easy bake oven style?
Exercise: Still doing my thing…aiming for 5 days a week, but happy if I am there 3-4 days a week. I’m spending more time in cardio and stretching.
Movement: Still moving a lot – I’m wondering if and when she’ll decided to get into ready position. Assuming she’s not breach, I’ll be enjoying swift kicks to my ribcage.
What I’m looking forward to: a mini beach vacation. My husband says I’m in desperate need of some color. I guess vampire white is out. I’m also looking forward to the start of our “Preparing for Childbirth” classes that start up on May 24th. My husband is really looking forward to them as he will finally feel as though he can do something…ya know, other than move things around for me.
What I miss: Speed. I get slower by the day. My office parking lot feels like it’s miles away (in fact, I have parked in visitor parking a couple of times just to avoid the long walk) and my husband is trying really hard not to be impatient with me as I try to accomplish everyday tasks. Yes, I’m slow but I’m still capable.
Next Appointment: May 18th for my regularly scheduled appointment and May 21st for my 3D/4D ultrasound!